Skip to main content

On Retiring...in CT?

Follow up to my prior post, On Being in Connecticut for Thirty Years...

I came here in the early 90s from Texas, chasing a job and ended up staying because of a woman (25 years married last month). For that entire 30 years period I've been saying that I'm ready to either go back to Texas or to my family's origins in Louisiana (we've even purchased land in Opelousas). Or just move somewhere else! Thea, who is from CT, has been resistant mostly because this is where she grew up and her brothers and nieces live here (well, the nieces are in MA now, but you get it).

So now we're approaching retirement age and the talk is getting more serious. I'm not feeling any lowering of resistance to moving away from Thea. But now I watch the news about various natural disasters around the country and remind myself that we don't have major huricanes. Or tornadoes. Or floods. Or forest fires. Or drought. Or searing heat (or winters with enduring bitter cold or deep lake effect snow). Or alligators (or mosquitoes or a lot of venomous snakes).

Generally speaking, our lights are staying on and we can buy gas/heating oil. And we still have a local nuke plant (for now) if we go electric.

And I'm beginning to understand that while the politics in Connecticut suck, they suck everywhere. And on the suckage scale, CT is certainly not as bad as, say, California or New York or New Jersey.

And the history of New England and the things to do within a couple hours of our house in central CT are simply amazing. Stay in the state, go to NYC, go to Boston, go to Vermont/NH, upstate New York and Canada a little farther out (no, not New Jersey).

We're within 30 minutes of an airport that can get us anywhere in the world we want to go. And let's not remind Thea of how many excellent race tracks we have within a day's drive (13 at my last count?) And when I stop racing and start doing more stewarding, I can get back into flying there instead of letting someone kill me on the highway.

Yeah, it costs more to live in the Northeast (I'm really really worried about continuing rises in property taxes and energy) but with Connecticut's recent changes to discontinue income taxes on retirement income below $100k*, at least I won't have to worry about that.

Alternatively, I could sell our CT home and build on four acres of land I own in Cajun Country (and have money left over) but would I get all this other stuff too? And how many times will I have to evacuate from a hurricane (and flee from robin-sized mosquitoes)?

Sure, we all gripe about Connecticut politics. And I'll continue to do so, as long as CT remains financially solvent (they're trying hard not to).

But when I think about it, we actually have it pretty good up here. So we might just stay...I guess we'll see.

*2023 Postscript: Connecticut has passed a law that will make retirement income from pensions, IRAs, and 401k not subject to state income taxes, within AGI limits (within what we'll be pulling in).



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914 - Part 2, Which Aftermarket Fuel Injection System?

Which Aftermarket Fuel Injection System? Return to Part 1 Scenario: two Porsche 914s, one 2L 4-banger street car with stock engine, one 2L 4-banger race car with modded engine. Greg's street 914 The street car engine has a fully-functioning Bosch D-Jetronic system, but as noted in Part 1 I don't trust it. It seems to work great at times but every now and then, usually when I'm an hour away from home, it'll have this massive burp and run bad for a bit. Makes me nervous. And it seems to be extremely sensitive to fuel selection; a couple times it just did not like the fuel I got from some stations. The race car's engine is modified and uses dual Dellorto carburetors. I have given thought to preparing prepping it to SCCA's Limited Prep Production regs, which requires fuel injection using the stock throttle body and intake manifold. Combine the two needs and maybe I can mod the street car and learn something about EFI in the process that could apply to

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914

Bosch D-Jetronic The Bosch D-Jetronic system is pretty cool, especially when you consider it was designed in the 1960s. "Computer"-controlled electronic fuel injection with manifold pressure sensor, intake temperature sensor, crankshaft (well, distributor) angle sensor, and throttle position sensor/switch. It uses constant fuel pressure and flow, so only injection duration needs to be modified to control air/fuel mixture. It measures incoming airflow by monitoring the intake manifold pressure; engine speed, temperature, and other factors are monitored for the purpose of fine-tuning injection duration. Ignition is by a standard cam-driven distributor with an internal D-jet-specific pickup for the crank/cam angle position. This "speed-density" D-Jet system was used on many cars of the period, including Volvo, Jaguar, Volkswagen, and of course, the Porsche 914 (1.7L and 2L engines only; the 1.8L used L-Jetronic -- "L" for "luft" or "air&qu

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914 - Part 3, The Design

The Design Return to Part 2 Recall my design parameters so far: Use the stock intake manifold(s) and throttle body; Use stock injectors; Use stock fuel pump and pressure regulator; Replace D-Jet components only when it makes sense; Upgrade fuel injection only, ignition to follow later; Bolt-on wherever possible so others can install it; Should not require permanent mods to stock components (so it can be reverted); Price-sensitive -- keep as inexpensive as possible. I quickly learned early on I had one conflict: the D-Jet system uses "low impedance injectors" and the Microsquirt system needs "high impendance injectors". I'll lead you to this link if you want to learn the difference but it basically comes down to electrical resistance. I could use the D-Jet injectors if I added a resistor pack -- which is exactly what VW/Porsche did when they used similar injectors on the L-Jet system for the 1.8L 914 engine.  FiveO High Impedance Injectors