Skip to main content

On Being in Connecticut for Thirty Years...

So I was gettin' my hair cut with some friends the other day...*

...and small talk turned to visiting family in Louisiana over Christmas, and the long drive, and how long I've been in CT, and...suddenly I realized that I was approaching 30 years of having lived in Connecticut.

Thirty. Years. That means I've lived in Connecticut more than I haven't.

When I got home I researched some old Quicken files and found a charge on my Discover card (remember them?) to a Days Inn in Roanoke VA on February 7, 1992, with the category "moving expenses". I remember that trip, I was driving up in my Rabbit convertible with a few bags stuffed in the back.**

That means on February 7th 1992 I left everything behind in Wichita Falls Texas and began a brandy-new life...in Connecticut.

Connecticut! To suggest that my life totally changed on that date is an incredible understatement.

So why move? Well, auto racing, of course. From the mid-80s onward racing had been the tunnel-vision sole focus of my life, from SCCA amateur club racing to a few tasty shots at professional racing with massive (misplaced) expectations of more.

But why Connecticut? Well, also an easy question. I had met some racers from New England during the SCCA Runoffs at Road Atlanta the prior September and was invited to visit Connecticut over Christmas. And given I had just gotten laid off from my engineering job (while at the Runoffs, natch) it was an easy decision to take up that invite. And as I was visiting I got to talking with my close friend, JJ Gertler, and he got to talking about well maybe if I moved to Connecticut he'd buy a Showroom Stock car for us to race in 1992...and then during the same Connecticut visit I caught a classified ad (remember those?) about a company in Wallingford (CT) that had an engineering job opening doing exactly what I had just gotten laid off of doing - and they were a smaller competitor to that giant prior company and wanted the know-how. One job interview later - during that the same visit to Connecticut - I had a job offer.

And then I drove back home to Texas to mull it all over.

Despite a job offer, a tasty prospect of free access to a competitive race car in the Northeast (with half a dozen race tracks within reasonable driving), and pretty much no competitive racing prospects left in Texas (my current race car was obsolete and there weren't many race tracks in Texas anyway), it really wasn't as easy a decision as it may seem. In fact, it was a pretty g-damned hard decision, leaving behind family and good friendships that I had built over the prior 14-ish years (half of my life at that time). I was pretty stressed over it, as I recall.

But, I made the choice to move and found myself alone in Wallingford CT.

I blame JJ.

Of course, I have to blame Bill Aston before that, as he's the one that got me into this racing thing in the first place.

But I still blame JJ.

1992 was a whirlwind year, between a new job that expected my full attention coupled to a racing season that actually got my full attention. And that racing season was incredibly successful, with my having met Matt Kessler and his stepfather Bill Wittstein and getting them involved in racing and their invaluable support for that racing year. And we almost won the damned national championship that year to boot.

But such close, constant, high-stress associations coupled to competing inflated Type-A egos resulted in a team split at the end of that year (can't blame Matt for that). And then I learned in November that my not paying attention to my job resulted in yet another racing-related layoff (deserved).

I was alone, no job, no racing prospects, no friends. No future, past the end of my (short) checkbook and (long) credit card debt.

So I got a short-term contract engineering job to run out the remainder of my lease to March 1993, which I stretched a month or two longer 'cause the money was good (I rented a spare room from an elderly widow after my lease expired).

That April I got invited to attend a Civil Obedience Day event run by Bob Whitworth, the CT State Chapter Coordinator for the National Motorists Association (we were protesting the 55 mph national speed limit; remember that? It was a hoot -- the event, not 55mph...) And during that event I met my future wife, Thea Moritz.

And I stayed in CT. The rest, as they say, is history.

So I blame Bob, too.

And these are just a few of the impossibly vast number of people that have affected the directionof my life. I can look back at the numerous influences and decisions, large and small, that have resulted in my being where, and who, I am today. I can only imagine who I'd be today, had I not met Thea and instead moved to Palo Alto CA (something I was actually working on at the time) or moved to Louisiana to live with my father (also pondered) or to move back to Wichita Falls (not seriously considered -- been there, done that -- but mom and a lot of friends were there).

Without these chance interactions, I would be nothing or nowhere who I am today.

So am I curious what would have happened, if I'd made anyone of these decisinos instead? Of course I am! Any regrets? Nope, absolutely none, zero. For me, "regret" means you'd want to change things. But while I'm curious to see what would have happened, my life is so good that I'd never want to risk changing it.

So thanks, Bill and JJ and Bob.

But thirty years in this state...woof. Here's to thirty more, I guess...

GA

*Obscure Letterkenny reference.

**Don't hate. It had the suspension, drivetrain, brakes, wheels/tires from my rolled 1983 GTI Improved Touring car and I really liked it...drove that convertible all over...should not have sold it but I was generating cash for my move away from CT...read on...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914 - Part 2, Which Aftermarket Fuel Injection System?

Which Aftermarket Fuel Injection System? Return to Part 1 Scenario: two Porsche 914s, one 2L 4-banger street car with stock engine, one 2L 4-banger race car with modded engine. Greg's street 914 The street car engine has a fully-functioning Bosch D-Jetronic system, but as noted in Part 1 I don't trust it. It seems to work great at times but every now and then, usually when I'm an hour away from home, it'll have this massive burp and run bad for a bit. Makes me nervous. And it seems to be extremely sensitive to fuel selection; a couple times it just did not like the fuel I got from some stations. The race car's engine is modified and uses dual Dellorto carburetors. I have given thought to preparing prepping it to SCCA's Limited Prep Production regs, which requires fuel injection using the stock throttle body and intake manifold. Combine the two needs and maybe I can mod the street car and learn something about EFI in the process that could apply to

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914

Bosch D-Jetronic The Bosch D-Jetronic system is pretty cool, especially when you consider it was designed in the 1960s. "Computer"-controlled electronic fuel injection with manifold pressure sensor, intake temperature sensor, crankshaft (well, distributor) angle sensor, and throttle position sensor/switch. It uses constant fuel pressure and flow, so only injection duration needs to be modified to control air/fuel mixture. It measures incoming airflow by monitoring the intake manifold pressure; engine speed, temperature, and other factors are monitored for the purpose of fine-tuning injection duration. Ignition is by a standard cam-driven distributor with an internal D-jet-specific pickup for the crank/cam angle position. This "speed-density" D-Jet system was used on many cars of the period, including Volvo, Jaguar, Volkswagen, and of course, the Porsche 914 (1.7L and 2L engines only; the 1.8L used L-Jetronic -- "L" for "luft" or "air&qu

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914 - Part 3, The Design

The Design Return to Part 2 Recall my design parameters so far: Use the stock intake manifold(s) and throttle body; Use stock injectors; Use stock fuel pump and pressure regulator; Replace D-Jet components only when it makes sense; Upgrade fuel injection only, ignition to follow later; Bolt-on wherever possible so others can install it; Should not require permanent mods to stock components (so it can be reverted); Price-sensitive -- keep as inexpensive as possible. I quickly learned early on I had one conflict: the D-Jet system uses "low impedance injectors" and the Microsquirt system needs "high impendance injectors". I'll lead you to this link if you want to learn the difference but it basically comes down to electrical resistance. I could use the D-Jet injectors if I added a resistor pack -- which is exactly what VW/Porsche did when they used similar injectors on the L-Jet system for the 1.8L 914 engine.  FiveO High Impedance Injectors