Skip to main content

Tales from the Road 2 - 7AM Appointments


Greg Note: "Tales From the Road" are some short stories that my father wrote, that I found on his computer when he passed away in 2012. I found them quite interesting and entertaining and wanted to share them here.

Tales from the Road - 7AM Appointments

It looks like I can go four or five loads and all of the appointments seem to be at 0700. Now I can count on a 7AM appointment every Monday and the delivery is usually at least 250 miles away and most of the time, in the 400-500 mile range. That means that I have to leave Sunday morning or early afternoon to make the appointment time. No problem, I don't mind driving Sunday afternoons and evenings, so it works out OK. I don't like leaving at midnight or 0100 cuz I am at the end of my limit by noon. I've driven for 14 hours and still alert, but to start out the week with a day like that, means that I could have one of those miserable weeks when everything is out of kilter if I get some crossways loads with pickups in the afternoon, 600 miles to go and a 0700 delivery. Makes for a mean week.

Anyway, I have had a few loads going up to the Tennessee, North Georgia area and I leave Sunday morning. By the time I have logged out for the day and can't fudge anymore, I am in north Alabama and I stop at the truck stop around Fort Payne, Alabama. It isn't one of the new plastic places....you know the kind...full of franchised plastic food. I don't like those truck stops: too many trucks packed in too tight and the 1/4 mile walk to the restuarant/parts house/shower/franchised food building through six rows of idling trucks and down ten or fifteen trucks on the last row, and once I get into the buillding, I am bombarded by the noise from those damned video game rooms. That's  not my cup of tea. Traffic jams...I've seen some doozies in the busy ones with some harsh words being exchanged on the CB. Naw, not for me...life's too damned short to have to put up with that. So I look for the old fashioned truck stops with real kitchens, waitresses in real clothes, not dacron uniforms with silly hats.

Now on this trip up to Kentucky, I hit the log wall about the time I got to Fort Payne and took the exit to the truck stop. Parked on the side of the attached motel and went in for the required cup of coffee and trip to the not-so-modern facility. It was sufficient for the needs and sat in the booth in the cafe. That big tall blond gal was in there and I got my cup of coffee, finagled the log a little, not much...Interstate all the way so I averaged 65 mph and had my 675 miles. Figured out the mileage to go and saw that I had to have about 4.5 hours to get there for the appointment time. I added an hour and saw that I had to be gone for 0130. Drank the coffee, went out to the truck, set the "Screaming Meamie" for a 0100 wakeup and put it to bed.

"Meamie" woke me up at ten to one and I got it dressed and walked to the cafe for a cup to wake up. Sitting there was one other driver and the waitress. Now when I am just waking up, I sit down enjoy a couple of cups and find I am reading everything in sight. Menus, signs behind the counter, creamer packets, neon signs across the road, catchup bottles....anything. I happened to look in the glass doored cooler by the kitchen door and was reading all the labels I could see and there was a great one..."Mayonaise, heavy duty"!

That woke me up! Heavy duty mayonaise? Now, I've seen heavy duty oils, heavy duty soap, heavy duty gloves, heavy duty lawn mowers, shovels, trucks, weedeaters, socks, clothes, thermos jugs, etc. But heavy duty mayonaise?

I turned to the waitress (not the big blond gal) and said, "Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure", was the reply.

"Just what is heavy duty mayonaise and how is it heavy duty?"

"What you mean?"

"Well, I was reading the labels in that cooler over there and that gallon jug on the left is labeled "heavy duty mayonaise" and I was wondering what heavy duty mayonaise was. Why is it heavier duty than regular mayonaise?".

"Well, it's a lot thicker and heavier. You can take a handful and it won't fall apart. Use it for sandwiches, for making dressing for salads and other stuff."

"Uhhhh, do you reach in the jug a lot and take a handful?"

"Naw...I'm just saying you could."

Relieved, I said, "Oh...OK. Just wondering, there."

I paid for the coffee, left a tip, hit the John and headed out up 59. The thought of heavy duty mayonaise occupied the time well past Knoxville and I-75. Now heavy duty grease doesn't break down with heat, heavy loads and sticks where it is put. Heavy duty mayo...I got to wondering if it wouldn't break down like regular mayo and did it coat the plumbing and if it didn't break down...*Nope..I ain't going there!*

Well, with all of the careful planning, I was running about 1/2 hour behind, but since I had added an hour, I was still in time even with the slow down in the construction zones and there are a LOT of construction zones. Got to the guard shack, checked in and was told I was a half hour late and would have to wait for an open slot.

"Whoa! I'm a half hour early...my appointment is at 7 AM and it's 6:30 now."

"Nope...it's 7:30 now. This is Eastern Standard Time."

My watch is on Central. Oh well...didn't have to wait long...Wally's boys are quick and they have a lot of doors and I spent the time pondering that heavy duty mayonaise. Got unloaded pretty quick and since it was about noon for my stomach, headed for the truck stop by the Interstate. Another rather old truck stop and got a cup of coffee and decided to order a hamburger. 

"Give me a hamburger, fries, more coffee. Everything on the burger 'cept cheese. Mustard, pickles, lettuce, tomatoes, bacon and mayonaise."

"OK, Honey. More coffee?"

"Yep, het it up. And, oh,  by the way, is that mayo regular or heavy duty?"

"What? Heavy duty mayonaise? Honey, you're going to settle for regular ol' mayonaise. Never heard of heavy duty mayonaise. Heard of lite, but it ain't as good on a hamburger as regular. Heavy duty mayonaise?"

Relieved, I took a sip of coffee while I read the sugar and creamer packs, ketchup bottle, hotsauce and jelly packs on the table. Gonna have to call Glenn and Dale...wonder where they're going to send me today? Probably down to Oklahoma with a 7:00 AM appointment for tomorrow morning. Oh well...at least they ain't trying to get me to go to the Bronx like they wanted me to last week. Ain't going to the Bronx...rather eat heavy duty Anasazi Beans first or heavy duty cabbage or heavy duty tofu or...

Bud Amy

Continue on to "Takes from the Road - Tight Ass"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914 - Part 2, Which Aftermarket Fuel Injection System?

Which Aftermarket Fuel Injection System? Return to Part 1 Scenario: two Porsche 914s, one 2L 4-banger street car with stock engine, one 2L 4-banger race car with modded engine. Greg's street 914 The street car engine has a fully-functioning Bosch D-Jetronic system, but as noted in Part 1 I don't trust it. It seems to work great at times but every now and then, usually when I'm an hour away from home, it'll have this massive burp and run bad for a bit. Makes me nervous. And it seems to be extremely sensitive to fuel selection; a couple times it just did not like the fuel I got from some stations. The race car's engine is modified and uses dual Dellorto carburetors. I have given thought to preparing prepping it to SCCA's Limited Prep Production regs, which requires fuel injection using the stock throttle body and intake manifold. Combine the two needs and maybe I can mod the street car and learn something about EFI in the process that could apply to

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914

Bosch D-Jetronic The Bosch D-Jetronic system is pretty cool, especially when you consider it was designed in the 1960s. "Computer"-controlled electronic fuel injection with manifold pressure sensor, intake temperature sensor, crankshaft (well, distributor) angle sensor, and throttle position sensor/switch. It uses constant fuel pressure and flow, so only injection duration needs to be modified to control air/fuel mixture. It measures incoming airflow by monitoring the intake manifold pressure; engine speed, temperature, and other factors are monitored for the purpose of fine-tuning injection duration. Ignition is by a standard cam-driven distributor with an internal D-jet-specific pickup for the crank/cam angle position. This "speed-density" D-Jet system was used on many cars of the period, including Volvo, Jaguar, Volkswagen, and of course, the Porsche 914 (1.7L and 2L engines only; the 1.8L used L-Jetronic -- "L" for "luft" or "air&qu

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914 - Part 3, The Design

The Design Return to Part 2 Recall my design parameters so far: Use the stock intake manifold(s) and throttle body; Use stock injectors; Use stock fuel pump and pressure regulator; Replace D-Jet components only when it makes sense; Upgrade fuel injection only, ignition to follow later; Bolt-on wherever possible so others can install it; Should not require permanent mods to stock components (so it can be reverted); Price-sensitive -- keep as inexpensive as possible. I quickly learned early on I had one conflict: the D-Jet system uses "low impedance injectors" and the Microsquirt system needs "high impendance injectors". I'll lead you to this link if you want to learn the difference but it basically comes down to electrical resistance. I could use the D-Jet injectors if I added a resistor pack -- which is exactly what VW/Porsche did when they used similar injectors on the L-Jet system for the 1.8L 914 engine.  FiveO High Impedance Injectors