Skip to main content

"Beep" Under Dash

So three weeks ago I noticed an irregular, random high-pitched "beep" from under the dash of my '11 GTI. I noticed it right after my wife came back from driving the GTI to Pittsburgh. During that trip she rolled past the 20k miles for the scheduled service reminder, which then "gonged" at me each startup.

I didn't pay much attention to the beep at first, since it coincided with the service reminder; probably same issue? I can ignore the service reminder, so I can ignore the beep. I'll get the car serviced next week or whatever (hell, the service is free, right...?) The noise was not startling or anything, just a random audible "beep".

Well, the following week we were going to drive the GTI to the NJMP 12 Hour, so I decided to have the service done beforehand. Thea took it in and I asked her to discuss the beep with the service manager (she heard it during the Pittsburgh trip). Car got serviced quickly, but Service Manager says he never heard it...What, did you wait, like, only 30 seconds or something? OK, whatever.

Thea and I took off a couple days later for NJMP...and that beep was still there. All day. All weekend. Even with the car turned off. During our 5 hour journey (each way) it became a game for us to predict when it would beep...and neither of us won. We used the iPhone's stopwatch to create a lap chart to find out if it was predictable...it wasn't. And it seemed to never come from the same place: left, center, right of the dash? I even used the iPhone to capture the sound so I could bring it to the dealer...and all through the rest of the weekend it was always there.

At this point I was getting a bit annoyed. I went through the owner's manual...nothing. Even thought about posting something here, but I wasn't going to give you rat bastards the opportunity to make inane VW CEL jokes (the CEL  wasn't on, so f**k you). In desperation I decided to post up on VWHortex to see if anyone had heard of this, and no one had...several suggested that I or the dealer had installed some kind of aftermarket security system or something, but since I had purchased this car literally off the showroom floor with 16 miles on it and there were no "additional charges", I didn't think so.

So last night I'm sitting on the sofa having a beer, responding to posts on VWVortex, and I decided to grab a flashlight to check it out myself. Opened the door, slid the driver's seat back, pulled out and shook off the floor mat, and "assumed the position" -- upside down. Nothing seemed out of whack, all common VW plastic hoses and ducting, common German wiring harness, no ScotchLocks, no aftermarket butt connectors, no straggling wires. Digging and prodding, changing the focus of my eyes near and far, looking for anything non-Teutonic.

Then, suddenly, BEEP!!! Right by my chin.

I pulled my head back a foot and look up, and sticking out, right there at the bottom edge of the front lower dash panel, was a piece of white racer tape, curled up over the top edge. What the...? I scrunch down further, pull my elbow in by my side to get my hand up by my face, reach with my compressed wrist up to the area, curl my fingers around the edge of the dash panel and feel something. I grab, it, pull it out to find...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Wait for it.....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
And then I think about it: when did this start? Three weeks ago. Right when the service light came on, right? Yup. And also right when I was at the race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway.

You f****r.

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. But I have skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you...and I will find you."

I have an idea of who you are; after all, white racer tape...? At the April NHMS event, one of the lowest-attended races for a long time...? And yet this one was good. Real good. Too good to keep to yourself, no matter how hard you try. Many a criminal has revealed himself in a drunken round of braggadocio...and you will, too.

Time is your enemy. And I have all the time in the world...

- tGA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914 - Part 2, Which Aftermarket Fuel Injection System?

Which Aftermarket Fuel Injection System? Return to Part 1 Scenario: two Porsche 914s, one 2L 4-banger street car with stock engine, one 2L 4-banger race car with modded engine. Greg's street 914 The street car engine has a fully-functioning Bosch D-Jetronic system, but as noted in Part 1 I don't trust it. It seems to work great at times but every now and then, usually when I'm an hour away from home, it'll have this massive burp and run bad for a bit. Makes me nervous. And it seems to be extremely sensitive to fuel selection; a couple times it just did not like the fuel I got from some stations. The race car's engine is modified and uses dual Dellorto carburetors. I have given thought to preparing prepping it to SCCA's Limited Prep Production regs, which requires fuel injection using the stock throttle body and intake manifold. Combine the two needs and maybe I can mod the street car and learn something about EFI in the process that could apply to

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914

Bosch D-Jetronic The Bosch D-Jetronic system is pretty cool, especially when you consider it was designed in the 1960s. "Computer"-controlled electronic fuel injection with manifold pressure sensor, intake temperature sensor, crankshaft (well, distributor) angle sensor, and throttle position sensor/switch. It uses constant fuel pressure and flow, so only injection duration needs to be modified to control air/fuel mixture. It measures incoming airflow by monitoring the intake manifold pressure; engine speed, temperature, and other factors are monitored for the purpose of fine-tuning injection duration. Ignition is by a standard cam-driven distributor with an internal D-jet-specific pickup for the crank/cam angle position. This "speed-density" D-Jet system was used on many cars of the period, including Volvo, Jaguar, Volkswagen, and of course, the Porsche 914 (1.7L and 2L engines only; the 1.8L used L-Jetronic -- "L" for "luft" or "air&qu

On "Microsquirting" the Porsche 914 - Part 3, The Design

The Design Return to Part 2 Recall my design parameters so far: Use the stock intake manifold(s) and throttle body; Use stock injectors; Use stock fuel pump and pressure regulator; Replace D-Jet components only when it makes sense; Upgrade fuel injection only, ignition to follow later; Bolt-on wherever possible so others can install it; Should not require permanent mods to stock components (so it can be reverted); Price-sensitive -- keep as inexpensive as possible. I quickly learned early on I had one conflict: the D-Jet system uses "low impedance injectors" and the Microsquirt system needs "high impendance injectors". I'll lead you to this link if you want to learn the difference but it basically comes down to electrical resistance. I could use the D-Jet injectors if I added a resistor pack -- which is exactly what VW/Porsche did when they used similar injectors on the L-Jet system for the 1.8L 914 engine.  FiveO High Impedance Injectors